What have I been doing all this time? ¿Que estuve haciendo todo este tiempo?

 


THIS POST IS AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH

Y TAMBIÉN ESTÁ EN ESPAÑOL, CASTELLANO, NO LO SÉ.

 

DISCLAIMER: Before starting, pls avoid TLDR. It could be really interesting for you :D

DISCLAIMER 2: This post is on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram (so also on Facebook) and on my podcast channel (on audio format, by the way).

DISCLAIMER 3: I am not a language wizard or a native English speaker, so you will definitely find something not well written (My English resources are scarce now, but prepare for Aaron level 100 on college essays ‘cause I’m going all-in with English at university and so on).

 

What have I been doing all this time?

 

What a year! I felt so much pressure for taking a gap year and coincidently a pandemic starts and ruins my plans, the time it took for receiving the university decision on my admission consumed me (luckily for me, just ANU rejected me) and finally, my despair for the study permit application is overwhelming me until now.




I hope you do not know the annoyance that I had when people asked me: Which university are you going to? When are you going to college? 'I'm almost halfway through college! And you?' And the worst ones: 'You're not doing anything, right? '' Hey, please (begging face)! Help me cause you are practically not doing anything! ' Therefore, I had to find methods to control my worry, stress, and annoyance (this leads us to the reason for writing this post: What have I been doing all this time?):

Let’s start with the oldest one: Gardening. Since 2018, I started gardening. Why? I began to think about my future and besides I was calm, relaxed, rested while contemplating the park from the window. What will the place where I live be like in 20 years? It seemed like it would be a sad place. The roads were dusty because of traffic movement, many long-lived people bothering themselves with almost everything, garbage in piles in the bins (probably not even collected for 3 days), and vegetation almost consumed by the intensity of the sun. I said, 'This won't look good in a few years. I should do something about it. ' Looking at a cactus at his final stage, I remembered Prince Ea's YouTube video: 'Dear Future Generations: Sorry.' I had to do something. I researched and researched for more than 4 months and since the middle of the year of 2019, I started with the project. I wanted a greener neighborhood. Everything was already planned: I just had to follow my whole plan. So far, it has turned out good: now I have a Ponciano tree of almost 2 meters, a lemon tree and blackberries that with the help of my mother (: thank you) I was able to plant, some (probably more than 15) watermelons that are about to produce their fruits, a few growing cucumbers, a small tomato bush, and hundreds of sprouts of lentils (probably thousands). You will probably think: 'Aaron, that's an easy task: you just water the plants every day and that's it.' Well, you guys are probably right (to a certain extent). But for an organized and anxious person like me, there was no way that would be enough. I carried out daily monitoring of the plants, I checked the conditions of the soil every week, I investigated their pests, I knew which plants I could put near others, when they produced their fruits (and if they did not, why?), In what season should I plant them ... Yes, I know. In truth, there are several things to review, know and understand. It has been almost 3 years and I have learned so much about plants, fruit trees (and normal trees), pests (or insects) that I could probably find a solution to help uninhabited places into greener places.

 

Let's do a rewind to something more recent: podcasting. Yes, I know. I have not been the most constant, but I did what I could :(. You guys probably don't know how many hours it took me to choose, analyze, write and narrate the production. It really is a lot of work, especially when doing it alone. I started with a podcast: Noticias con Análisis (soon in English). This is practically a newscast, but the difference with a newscast is that I give the opinion and possible results in the short or long term of the action realized depending on the news. I assure you that at least more than one analysis of mine has helped to make a decision in the political or economic sphere for some individual. Then I started Bike Stats. This one was a bit simpler since I rated the bicycles that interested me with 6 criteria that were rated from 1 to 10. However, I had to finish it because I wasn't very convinced of the content I was uploading as I felt like I needed to ride the bikes to rate them properly. Finally, a few hours ago I decided to open a new podcast called Conversando, in which (there is no way you can guess it) I will talk about interests I have in common with people.



I also had the opportunity to have amazing mentors of books (thanks to Jorge and Lucero) and articles; therefore, I had to read a lot every day (I still haven't finished with all the material :() and I even had to learn new vocabulary because the vast majority of texts were in English (which is not my mother language). Luckily, all the vocabulary learned in those books will help in university. One of the books that caught my attention the most was 'More Money Than God' (coincidentally it is the one that I am still in the process of finishing). What I understand was that it talks about how hedge funds were created and which were their strategies to survive and win against firms and governments. The book is so broad that I had to make notes to remember the most important parts: the problem is that almost everything seems important to me and my notes now seem like another complete book with more than 90 pages (for now).



Learning more than 5 languages is one of my many goals in life; which is why I have been working on it (also because of the flexibility of my current schedule). I have been learning Italian for almost a year now and I can say that I can understand what Italians say. What I probably have not yet achieved is a high level at speaking this language, but ... Hey! I did not have to travel to another country to learn a language and the only thing I have used is electricity and water from home! So do not criticize me when I tell you that Duolingo (Really!?) helps you learn languages, even if you are really slow to learn with its methodology IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE CONSTANT.



Here comes the most complicated part of the post so I will try to summarize it in a small paragraph. I improved my Python and C # skills. I learned C # about 4 years ago and I have not been practicing it for almost 3. On the other hand, I learned Python 1 year ago (and I still use it) and so far, it seems the easiest one to learn. The commands in Python are not similar to the ones on C # (IMHO) and Python is just simpler. You can use C # for many things (like coding at technical or graphical level) because it has too many commands; however, Python has far fewer commands and is not as widely used as C #. A few months ago, I started to practice my C # skills again as an opportunity presented: Making a security system for a motel. The idea created even better ideas in my head because I realized that this would have a big market (I would make competitive prices against security companies) and the process would be easy to carry out since I remembered the astonishing existence of Arduinos and its modules. I already had the whole idea in my head and I just needed to remember the basics of C # since most of the code was on GitHub (I mean I would use some parts to make my code * winking*). 3 months have passed and despite the project is still in process, I have remembered and learned a lot.



In this paragraph, I was convinced to talk about cryptos and my nonexpert-level analysis of commodities and ETFs, but I just realized that maybe Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, or Facebook will not let me insert a ton of text (and also because my fingers hurt). It does not matter, since now I will tell you what I was about to say: well-planned business ideas, a possible app to monopolize small stores HAHAHA (evil laugh, by the way), designing minimalist aromatic wax burners, preparing myself for university with some economics preparation classes, mastering the guitar with covers, creating songs and finally, adventuring on my mountain bike (what I wanted to talk about after this paragraph).





So please, don’t you guys dare to say that I haven’t done anything during these months (maybe years).


I hope you enjoy my post and share it with your lazy friends or family to give them another sign that they should start doing something... now.


Arrivederci, Aaron :)

 

 

 

DISCLAIMER: Antes de empezar, nada de MUCHO TEXTO o TLDR pls. Gracias.

DISCLAIMER 2: Este post también está en LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram (y Facebook) y en mi canal de podcasts (en formato de audio).

DISCLAIMER 3: No soy un mago del lenguaje, así que probablemente no todo este bien escrito.

 

¿Que estuve haciendo todo este tiempo?

 

¡Qué tal año(¿s?)! He sentido mucha presión por tomarme un gap year sin saber que iba a comenzar una pandemia, la respuesta de las unis me consumía por dentro (por suerte, solo ANU me rechazo 'emoji cara triste’) y, por último, no sienten mi desesperación por la aplicación al permiso de estudios. Espero que no conozcan el fastidio que me tocaba cuando la gente me preguntaba: ¿A qué uni vas a entrar? ¿Cuándo iras a la uni? '¡Ya voy casi a la mitad de la uni!, y tú?' Y las peores: '¿No estás haciendo nada, ¿verdad? ' 'Hey, por favor (carita de ruego)! ¿Mira que no estás haciendo nada?'. Por lo cual, tuve que encontrar métodos para poder controlar mi preocupación, estrés y molestia (esto nos dirige a la razón de escribir este post: ¿Que estuve haciendo todo este tiempo?):

Comencemos con la más vetusta: la Jardinería. Desde el 2018, comencé con la jardinería. ¿Por qué? Comencé a pensar en mi futuro y de yapa estaba viendo tranquilo, relajado, descansado, el parque desde la ventana. ¿Como será el lugar donde vivo dentro de 20 años? Parecía que sería un lugar triste. Las pistas empolvadas por mucho tránsito, mucha gente longeva molestándose por casi todo, basura por montones en los tachos (probablemente ni recogida desde hace 3 días) y vegetación casi consumida por la intensidad del sol. Dije, 'Esto no se verá bien dentro de unos años. Debería hacer algo al respecto.' Al ver a un cactus casi en su etapa final, me acordé del video de Prince Ea en YouTube: 'Dear Future Generations: Sorry'. Tenía que hacer algo. Investigué e investigué durante más de 4 meses y desde mitad de año del 2019, comencé con el proyecto. Ya estaba todo planificado: solo tenía que seguir todo mi plan. Hasta el momento, ha resultado: ahora tengo un árbol Ponciano de casi 2 metros, un árbol de limón y moras que con la ayuda de mamá (: gracias) pude plantar, unas (probablemente más de 15) sandías que ya casi producirán sus frutos, unos pepinos que están creciendo, un arbusto pequeño de tomates y cientos de germinados de lentejas (probablemente miles). Ustedes pensarán: 'Aarón, lo que haces es muy fácil: solo riegas las plantas todos los días y ya está'. Bueno, probablemente tengan razón (en cierta medida). Pero para una persona organizada y ansiosa como yo, no había forma que eso fuera suficiente. Realice seguimientos diarios de las plantas, revisaba las condiciones en las que estaba el suelo casi cada semana, investigué sus plagas, sabía que plantas podía poner cerca de otras, cuando producían sus frutos (¿y si no la hacían, por qué?), en que estación debería plantarlas, ... Sí, lo sé. En verdad hay varías cosas por revisar, conocer y entender. Han pasado casi 3 años y he aprendido demasiado sobre plantas, arboles fruteros (y los que no), plagas (o insectos) que probablemente me lleve muy bien con el/la señor(a) del vivero cerca de casa.

 


Vayamos a algo un poco más reciente: el podcasting. Sí, lo sé. Definitivamente no he sido el más constante, pero hice lo que pude :(. No saben las horas que me tomaba escoger, analizar, escribir y narrar la producción. En verdad es mucho trabajo, más cuando lo haces solo. Comencé con un podcast: Noticias con Análisis. Este es prácticamente un noticiero, pero la diferencia con un noticiero normal, es que yo doy la opinión y posibles resultados a corto o largo plazo de la noticia. Les aseguro que por lo menos, más de un análisis mío ha ayudado a tomar una decisión en el ámbito político o económico para algún individuo. Después empecé Bike Stats. Este era un poco más simple ya que calificaba a las bicicletas que me interesaban con 6 criterios que se calificaban del 1 al 10. Sin embargo, tuve que acabarlo porque no estaba muy convencido del contenido que subía ya que sentía que necesitaba manejar las bicicletas para calificarlas adecuadamente. Finalmente, hace unas horas decidí abrir un nuevo podcast llamado Conversando, en el cual (apuesto a que no se les había ocurrido) conversaré.


También tuve la oportunidad de tener buenos mentores de libros (gracias Jorge y Lucero) y artículos; por lo cual, tuve que leer mucho todos los días (todavía no acabo con todo el material :() e incluso tuve que aprender nuevo vocabulario porque la gran mayoría de textos estaban en inglés. Por suerte, todo el vocabulario aprendido en esos libros me ayudará en la uni. Uno de los libros que más me ha atrapado ha sido 'More Money Than God' (coincidentemente es el que aún estoy en proceso de acabarlo). Lo que entendí hasta ahora es que habla sobre como los fondos de cobertura fueron creados y cuáles fueron sus estrategias para sobrevivir y ganar entre firmas y gobiernos. Como el libro es tan amplio tenía que realizar notas para acordarme de lo más importante: el problema es que casi todo me parece importante y mis notas del libro ahora parecen otro libro completa de más de 90 hojas (por ahora).

Aprender más de 5 idiomas es una de mis tantas metas de vida; por lo cual, he estado trabajando en ello por la flexibilidad de mi horario actual. Estuve aprendiendo italiano ya casi por un año y puedo decir que puedo entender lo que algún(a) italian@ diga. Lo que probablemente aún no he conseguido es un alto nivel hablando este idioma, pero... ¡Hey! ¡No he tenido que viajar a otro país para aprender un idioma y lo único que he gastado es la luz y el agua de casa! Así que no me critiquen cuando les diga que Duolingo (¿¡Enserio!?) realmente te ayuda a aprender algo, aunque seas realmente lento para aprender con su metodología SI Y SOLO SI ERES CONSTANTE. Así que sì, Aaron riuscirà a convincere chiunque a dargli pasta gratis quando si recherà in Italia. Ciao.

Aquí viene lo más complicado del post así que lo trataré de resumir en un pequeño párrafo. Mejore mis habilidades de Python y C#. Aprendí C# hace ya unos 4 años y no lo estuve practicando por casi 3. Por otro lado, Python lo aprendí hace 1 año (y lo uso hasta ahora) y hasta ahora me parece el más fácil de aprender. Los comandos en Python no se parecen mucho a los de C# (en mi humilde opinión) y Python simplemente es más sencillo. C# lo puedes usar para muchas cosas (como coding a nivel técnico o gráfico) así que tiene demasiados comandos; sin embargo, Python tiene muchos menos comandos y su uso no es muy amplio como el de C#. Hace unos meses volví a empezar a practicar mis habilidades con C# ya que se presentó una oportunidad: Hacer un sistema de seguridad para un motel. La idea casi explota mi cabeza porque me di cuenta que esto tendría bastante mercado (haría precios competitivos frente a las compañías de seguridad) y el proceso sería fácil de realizar ya que recordé la maravilla de los arduinos y sus módulos. Ya tenía toda la idea en la cabeza y solo faltaba recordar los básicos de C# ya que la mayoría del code estaba en GitHub (me refiero a que usaría algunas partes para hacer mi código *guiño guiño*). Han pasado unos 3 meses aproximadamente y a pesar de que el proyecto aun este en proceso, he recordado y aprendido bastante.

En este párrafo estaba convencido de hablarles sobre las cryptos y mi análisis de comodidades y etfs nivel pollo, pero acabo de darme cuenta de que quizás Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram o Facebook no me dejen poner mucho texto (y también porque me duelen los dedos). Da igual, ya que ahora les diré lo que me faltaba hablar: ideas de negocios bien planificadas, una posible app para monopolizar bodeguitas JAJAJA (risa malvada, por cierto), quemadores de cera aromática minimalistas, unas clases de preparación de economía, dominar la guitarra con covers y creando canciones y finalmente, aventurándome en la bicicleta (de lo que quería hablar después de lo de este párrafo).




Así que, por favor, no me digan que no he hecho nada estos meses.


Espero que les guste mi post y compártanlo con sus amigos flojos para que les dé pica que alguien haya hecho bastante sin estar en la u.


Arrivederci, Aarón :)


Comments